Friday, July 6, 2012

Proud to be an American-4th of July Goodies!

I have always loved 4th of July. I always have the best time hanging out with family and friends and celebrating the life of this wonderful country that I'm so blessed to live in. I take so many things like my freedom for granted. Some of my very best memories are with my sweet grandpa on the 4th watching his neighborhood parade and swimming in his backyard. He was a US Marine (Oorah) and went to war when he was just 16!!! I'm so thankful for brave men and women like him who put their life on the line for me. I really don't deserve it. 

Here's me and my Pa back in the day...WAY back. I miss that sweet man every single day. 


What a stud!


Another reason I love the 4th is because it's my other sweet grandpa's birthday!! Every year the whole world celebrates his birth with fireworks! Love that guy to death. Happy birthday, Pepe! Here's another picture that goes way back...I made that 2 piece look GOOD!


Of course I had to make delicious goodies to go along with the celebrations!! I made a cake, cupcakes, AND strawberries...all courtesy of Pinterest!

My momma came over and helped me make this awesome flag cake! It was surprisingly pretty easy to do and I love how it turned out!


Here's how you do it:



One of the best parts about this cake is all of the discarded leftovers!! I made some cake pops with the excess cake in icing, but those weren't pretty enough to even take a picture of. 


Here is the first and last successful time I made cakepops...definitely not worth the trouble to make them look pretty. I did these for Halloween a few years ago (disregard their extremely random nature).


Next, I made red, white, and blue strawberries!! How festive and simple can in get???

I got the meltable white chocolate at Michaels (also available at Hobby Lobby) in the cake/candy-making section. I also got the blue sugar there. If your chocolate isn't liquidy enough, it helps to add a little bit of Crisco to it while it's hot...just a little helpful hint! 




Lastly, I made a cupcake flag to take to my in-law's house. It's pretty self-explanatory! It looked a little cuter before I had the great idea to squish them into this casserole dish. You get the point, though! Merica!!


I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July!! Remember these ideas for next year!



Man, I love this dog.


I've been working on my momma's house a bit this week. I promise a post on the updates are coming soon!

Lastly, please remember to #prayfortheErwins. What a sweet family and testimony of incredible faith. I don't even know these people, but Trey's story has touched my heart. I can't even begin to imagine what he went through in his last few months on this earth or what his family is experiencing now, but I find peace knowing that God knows what He's doing and everything happens for a reason and according to His plan. Trey was an incredible disciple and now he is looking at the face of God. To God be the glory!!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/treyerwin

No comments:

Post a Comment